Monday, July 18, 2011

Something to Cook In


One of the greatest gifts of blogging is when someone comments on one of my posts or stops by my desk at work to show me something they've borrowed. It makes me feel like I've touched a part of their day and in turn, it totally brightens mine. 

A little while ago, my friend Courtney told me about an apron that once belonged to her grandmother, Anna Mallowe. I knew I had to write about it. 

Anna lived in the Fairmount section of Philadelphia for most of her life. In those days, family stayed pretty close (literally) and both her family and her husband's family lived on the same block or even on the same street. My mom, who also grew up in Philadelphia, talks about this type of family proximity all the time - how aunts and uncles and dozens of cousins all lived within spitting distance of each other.  

Anna was a housewife, but that never stopped her from being fashionable. She had two boys to raise with little money, but she was savvy and always found a way to keep up with the latest styles.  

To the nines, complete with two-tone pumps

Trend-setting in trousers

Anna loved to cook and her kitchen was never at rest, especially since sometimes her husband didn't get home from work until 2am. She would make dinner at 6pm for the children, clean up and make a full second meal for her husband. Sometimes Anna would finish making his dinner when it was time for the kids to get up for school and then she'd start right in on breakfast. Fitting that she should own such a fashionable apron.  

Courtney tells me her grandmother was the matriarch of the family and her kitchen must have been home base. I can picture her there whipping up something delicious, hair set just right, apron on, waiting for her husband or family to walk in.  Kinda makes you want to throw a dinner party, doesn't it?

This is why I love to blog.  I am humbled that Courtney chose to share her grandmother's story with me and humbled that you continue to read.  I hope you find inspiration in my posts the way your stories continue to inspire me. Thank you for being such wonderful friends and readers!






 

p.s. I'll keep an eye out for that dinner party invitation. In the meantime, here's a little apron love: 
Gingham on Etsy

All Pinned Up on Country Living

Chicken in a Cup

No comments:

Post a Comment